Medical Students Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Through my research, I have found that KMC is one of the few medical colleges in Pakistan that is affiliated with the World Health Organization. I want to know how this affects KMC? And the students over there? Is it easier for them to apply for residency in U.S.a? Does it make a difference? How is it important?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello! Through my research, I have found that KMC is one of the few medical colleges in Pakistan that is affiliated with the World Health Organization. I want to know how this affects KMC? And the students over there? Is it easier for them to apply for residency in U.S.a? Does it make a difference? How is it important?
As far as i've heard, the only thing that matters in getting a good residency in the US is your usmle scores. Whether you do mbbs from a top uni like aku or yusra (v low tier), it doesnt matter that much in that case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aside from that thing, I know that foreign students need to have a high Step 1 score As far as matching into a U.S residency is concerned. The only way for any foreign graduate to be seriously considered for a U.S or Canadian residency is if you have a High Step 1 score. In your case, your Step 1 score will need to be even higher than the Caribbean students since no U.S. doctor is familiar with you. Caribbean students have the benefit of completing their last 2 years of medical school at US-based hospitals, so they become familiar with U.S doctors. You can try to arrange clinical electives at U.S hospitals when you're in your last 2 years of medical school, but that process is expensive and will require a visa. If your Step 1 score is 250 or above, then you will be taken seriously by U.S and Canadian residency directors. Your class rank and having strong letters of recommendation will also help you a lot.
That is how foreign students get into residency. I am not saying this from my own. I asked a U.S. doctor by contacting him through his email address.
Apart from that, I need information about the other things, too. I read that it will affect our curriculum. And if it does then I imagine it will also make it easier to score in Step 1. And the letter of recommendation will also be credible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aside from that thing, I know that foreign students need to have a high Step 1 score As far as matching into a U.S residency is concerned. The only way for any foreign graduate to be seriously considered for a U.S or Canadian residency is if you have a High Step 1 score. In your case, your Step 1 score will need to be even higher than the Caribbean students since no U.S. doctor is familiar with you. Caribbean students have the benefit of completing their last 2 years of medical school at US-based hospitals, so they become familiar with U.S doctors. You can try to arrange clinical electives at U.S hospitals when you're in your last 2 years of medical school, but that process is expensive and will require a visa. If your Step 1 score is 250 or above, then you will be taken seriously by U.S and Canadian residency directors. Your class rank and having strong letters of recommendation will also help you a lot.
That is how foreign students get into residency. I am not saying this from my own. I asked a U.S. doctor by contacting him through his email address.
Apart from that, I need information about the other things, too. I read that it will affect our curriculum. And if it does then I imagine it will also make it easier to score in Step 1. And the letter of recommendation will also be credible.
Woah... i dont have a clue about all that... i myself will be applying to med schools this year...lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

Canadian medical residences do not care about USMLE they have their own examination test called the MCC which does not substitute for USMLE by any means. You must also be a Canadian citizen or hold a valid Canadian permanent resident card and have your Medical Identification Number for Canada (MINC).
Also, USMLE is going pass/fail and will take effect Jan 2022. USMLE Step 1 Is Now Pass/Fail - Who Benefits From This Big Change?

Also, you may want to check out my most recent disscussion " HEC, Ptap, foreigners applying to pakistan. Read this first" as things are changing and you may not even be eligible to apply to USA residency programs after 2024 with degree from any Pakistani school .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts